About NUEW

About NUEW

BACKGROUND

The National Union of Eritrean Women (NUEW) was established in 1979 as one of the mass organizations of the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front. In its current form, the NUEW is an autonomous non-governmental organization dedicated to improving the status of Eritrean women.

During Eritrea’s liberation struggle, NUEW succeeded in organizing and encouraging women’s participation in the war effort. Since independence in 1991, NUEW has continued to enhance the role of women by raising their political consciousness through literacy campaigns, credit programs, English language lessons, and other skills training.

NUEW is administered by a headquarters office located in Asmara, as well as by regional offices located in all six zones. Membership numbers over 200,000 women. Sources of income include monthly membership fees, grants and projects, and fund-raising activities by members.

MISSION

The NUEW seeks to ensure that all Eritrean women confidently stand for their rights and equally participate in the political, economic, social,and cultural spheres of the contry and share the benefitis.

ADVOCATE FOR ...

  • The development of women’s confidence in themselves and respect for one another, and the raising of consciousness to ensure their rights in the political and legal systems;

  • Laws that protect women’s rights in the family: entitlement rights and other civil laws;

  • Equal access to education and employment opportunities: equal pay for equal work and equal rights to skills development to promotion;
    Improved access to adequate health care, paid maternity leave, and child care services;

  • The eradication of harmful traditional practices that endanger women’s health and well-being;

  • The reduction of poverty for Eritrean women and their families.

WOMEN’S LIVES IN ERITREA:
STATISTICAL INFORMATION*

Mortality

year 1995

year 2002

Maternal mortality rate

 1,000 per 100,000 live births

-

Infant mortality rate

 66 per 1,000 live births

47.7 per 1,000 live births

Under 5 mortality rate

 105 per 1,000 live births

 93.3 per 1,000 live births

Reproductive Health

year 1995

year 2002

Total fertility rate

 5.5

 4.8

Contraceptive prevalence

 8%

 8.0
Education

year 1995

year 2002

Female adult literacy rate

  25%(Estimated)

 49.1%

Girls enrolled in primary school

  54%

 48.3%

Girls enrolled in secondary school

  17%

 35.3%
Female Circumcision

year 1995

year 2002

Women circumcised95%88.7%
Source: 1. Demographic information 1995
                
2. Demographic and Health Survey 2002

NUEW'S ACTIVITIES

Seminars and workshops:

 Training:

Income generation:

 Additionally, an Emergency Support Project is in place to support victims of the war, especially women and children, by providing basic materials and counseling.

Eritrean Women in Government

In the national and regional assemblies 30% of seats are reserved for women. Women compete against each other for the votes of both men and women. Women also run against men for the remaining 70% of seats.

The NUEW played a major role during the drafting of the Eritrean Constitution by organizing workshops and sensitizing women on the crucial issues that concern women. NUEW has played and continues to play a key role in advocating for, monitoring, and evaluating the formulation/planning and implementation of government policies and programs from a gender perspective.

National Union of Eritrean Women
P.O. Box 239
Asmara, Eritrea
telephone: 115172 or 119514
fax: 120628
e-mail: 
nuew@nuew.org

I f you would like to support the work of the NUEW, donations may be made to
account number 4454, Commercial Bank of Eritrea.
Asmara, Eritrea

Comments